from the Balkan photography
Under the guidance of SCP, BULB and PHOS a new workshop saw the light where you don’t hear about shadows, reflections, kids, animals, how to wait, how to hunt, how to shoot from the back, from the top, from the hip. Not a word about buses, trains, homeless, anecdotes, contre-jour or blur. You don't even hear about great photographers or the history of photography … no definitions, bibliography or conclusions. For a good and noble reason! You can find all the above on the Internet. Even better: you don’t need it.
During May 2023, our editor Mihai Marcolt prepared and held the first of the Balkan series of this workshop.
The workshop took place in the streets of Bucharest during 5 weeks. It included: Portfolio reviews, coaching, individual shooting and group shooting.
The only prerequisites were:
1. Who is Antonino? (read and describe in a couple of lines the photographer of Italo Calvino’s ‘the adventure of …”).
2. Performant Camera (fast Autofocus or Pre-focus). Know your gear and basic photography theory.
3. Shoot when in suffering (this is not a leisure activity, come at least hungry and tired).
4. The picture taken is the end of the process (no extensive post-processing)
5. No interaction with the subjects (except courtesy and legal constraints)
Photographers Cornel Petrescu, Cezar Niculescu, Dana Dinca, Cristi Mihailescu, Dan Stanila, Alexandru Hornea, Gabriel Barbulescu, Anastasia Marcolt and Mihai Marcolt produced some genuine street frames during the group and the individual shooting.
An exhibition with their work is opening on June 13, 2023 in Bucharest (https://www.facebook.com/events/s/balkan-urban-league-bucharest-/186527694049068)